“It means ‘Shadowhunters: Looking Better in Black Than the Widows of our Enemies Since 1234’.”
So this is a re-read for me, the first time I read this book was back when it came out, and I remember I fell head over heels in love with this book back then….before I reached the ending. THAT ENDING. I still can’t get over it. I haven’t continued on with the series since reading this book, so I don’t know if that’s something Cassandra Clare “fixes” or if it’s the real deal, I really don’t know, so I guess I’ll find out soon!
Now, re-reading this book wasn’t the BEST experience ever, it kind of put me in a reading slump I didn’t see coming because I had been going so well, but it happened. For the most part, this book is very entertaining, and I enjoyed it, but I did have quite a few problems with it, with some of the characters, with the incessant information-drop that kept slowing down the plot, etc.
Ok, let’s get started on the things I enjoyed about this book:
1. The world Cassandra Clare has created is very interesting, and it’s one of the main things that hooks me on the story, and makes me want to continue on with the series.
2. Simon: I was very surprised to find that I actually adore Simon! The first time I read this book I remember I DETESTED him, I only had eyes for Jace, and I might be slightly clouded by the beautiful Alberto who is playing him in the Shadowhunters TV show (he’s my fave), but re-reading this book made me realize that his character is the most relatable, heartwarming and charming characters of the bunch! Now, don’t get me wrong, I don’t ship him & Clary, only because I think he can do better. I don’t like Clary. At all. I hope the Sizzy thing is real, and it happens. Soon. I want to see that happen. ❤
3. Speaking of, Isabelle: I LOVED HER. She’s walks the thin line between confidence and cockiness, but she walks it well. She’s funny, she’s badass, and I can’t wait to see more of Sizzy. PLEASE LET THAT HAPPEN.
4. Magnus: he seems like SUCH a cool character, I’m so excited to read more about him, his story, and yeah… the Alec/Magnus ship is smooth sailing.
5. I even liked ALEC, what?!: Again, I’m very VERY surprised to be adding him to this list, because the first time I read this book I hated his guts, but I kind of enjoyed him hating Clary along with me. I think we bonded. I think I love him :’) I really want him to get over this Jace thing, because come on, MAGNUS IS BETTER. LET THIS ALSO BE A THING, PLEASE.
6. Luke: he’s such a good character! I hope we get even more of him in the next book, because every time he had a scene in the book, I was hooked. He brings a different element to the story, and is such a good father-figure to Clary, I adore him. I REALLY hope he and Jocelyn end up together, I really want that for him.
7. Jocelyn: I kind of find it badass of her, not telling her daughter anything about their world, and being able to hide it so well for so long, being able to protect her from the evils she knows exist. She’s a good mom, and I really admire her. I can’t wait to see her actually be awake in the next book. 🙂
Now, to the good part. The things I wasn’t feeling.
1. CLARY: Oh my GOD. She’s a really annoying character. I’m sorry but I have no patience, and she tested me throughout the entire book. She kept making the most idiotic decisions, and I had to keep reminding myself that she’s fifteen and that this world is entirely new to her, and she was thrust upon it, but still. The girl’s annoying.
2. Jace…..? Ok, here’s the thing. I don’t really know what to think/feel about him. I remember LIVING for him, I was obsessed with him, but now that I’ve re-read the book, I don’t get why. I found him to be a little too cocky and full of himself. Maybe it’s part of a future-character-development-in-progress type of thing, but for now, I don’t really know what to think of him. I enjoyed his scenes, and some of his lines were pretty hilarious, but right now, I’m loving me some Simon.
3. Stupid Hodge: My feelings for this guy did NOT change re-reading this book. I still hate him, I find him to be cowardly, stupid, and just ugh. I don’t want to talk about it.
So really these are all my feelings towards this book. Hope it made sense. We’ll see how it goes with the next one, I’m actually really excited to FINALLY continue on with this series! Thanks for reading ❤
Let’s be friends!