The Love-a-Thon is an event dedicated to spreading positivity and love. It’s time dedicated to visiting other bloggers/Instagrammers/BookTubers, leaving a comment or two, making new friends and fostering positivity among the members of our amazing community. As in the previous years, the event will include mini challenges, Twitter chats and giveaways galore!
I’m so excited to participate my first ever love-a-thon! *many clapping emojis* I first saw Alexandra’s (from twirling pages) post (which is completely bomb, if you haven’t, go check it out now.!.!.!), and absolutely LOVED the concept, so here go
Q & A’s:
- WHAT’S YOUR NAME? my name is Melanie, sometimes go by Mel, may respond to “hey, you”.
- WHERE IN THE WORLD ARE YOU BLOGGING FROM? blogging from puerto rico. Don’t ask me if I dance salsa. Cus’ I don’t. Sorry to disappoint.
- HOW DID YOU GET STARTED ON THIS BLOGGING THING? well, I first found booktube, and got hooked on it so much that I (heavily) considered joining it and creating my own channel, but I’m too shy for that kind of thing, so I didn’t. Then, I found the amazing bookstagram world, and created an account immediately. I really wanted an outlet where I could unleash the fangirl inside, and share my passion with other hardcore fangirls/fanboys. There, I made book-blogging friends, and through them, I found out that book blogging existed, and saw how amazing it could be to write about all your book-loving needs, so I decided to create one, and here we are!
- HOW DID YOU COME UP WITH YOUR BLOG NAME? I get asked this question quite a bit, and honestly, my answer is not that exciting. Quite frankly, it was the only thing I could think of when I was trying to decide what I should name my blog, I was having major brain-farts, and the only thing that stuck with me was It’s A Bookish Thing, because every time I try to explain to someone my feelings about deeps emotions toward books, and they don’t get it, I just use the the line “forget it, it’s a bookish thing”. But of course, that name was already taken, so I added my favorite/lucky number, 13, and voila, we have a bookstagram/blog. Riveting, right?
- WHAT GENRE DO YOU READ & REVIEW THE MOST ON YOUR BLOG? probably anything YA. My favorites are fantasy and contemporary, but lately I’ve really been into New Adult fiction, *cough* Colleen Hoover *cough*.
- BESIDES REVIEWS, WHAT ELSE DO YOU TALK ABOUT ON YOUR BLOG? since my blog is pretty new, most of my posts have been book-reviews-related, but I’m planning to make more lifestyle-related posts, to make the blog a bit more personal.
- BEST BLOGGING EXPERIENCE SO FAR? apart from meeting people from all over the world, and bonding with them, getting contacted by an author for the first time to review a book was pretty phenomenal. I had around 400 followers on Instagram around that time, so I thought no author would care about what I had to say, and wen I got contacted, that’s when I grew confident in my work, and took my reviews more seriously. Now, it’s my favorite part about finishing books; I love sitting down and have an explosion of the feels (reviewing Me Before You was a cathartic experience), and discussing the book with others who’ve read it.
- FAVORITE THING ABOUT THE BLOGGING COMMUNITY? it’s a completely different world than our reality. It’s literally a safe-haven, where all book-lovers show appreciation for books and other readers who love those books. I didn’t see coming the amount of love and friendship the community has shown, it was the biggest surprise of all, and it’s been an amazing experience because of it.
- TOP FIVE MOST EXCITED 2016 BOOKS TO READ? where to begin. Patience is a virtue, one that I sorely lack, so I anticipate A LOT and have a horrible time doing so, so this list might take me a while to shorten down. ………. Ok, I’m back. This took me 20 minutes to figure out. Here you go.
- Harry Potter & the Cursed Child (Harry Potter #8) by J.K. Rowling (july 31, 2016)
- Throne of Glass book #5 (title hasn’t been released yet) by Sarah J. Maas (september 6, 2016)
- Heartless by Marissa Meyer (november 8, 2016)
- Gemina (The Illuminae Files #2) by Amie Kaufman & Jay Kristoff (october 18, 2016)
- Stars Above by Marissa Meyer (february 2, 2016)
- TOP FIVE BOOKS YOU WANT TO READ THAT YOU DIDN’T READ IN PREVIOUS YEARS? jeez, I need to think again. Hold on.
- Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
- Since You’ve Been Gone by Morgan Matson
- The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern
- The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson
- I’ll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson
- WHAT BOOK/SERIES DO YOU THINK IS UNDERRATED? Isla & the Happily Ever After by Stephanie Perkins, I feel like it’s overshadowed by its predecessors, and it’s one of my favorite books of all time.
- WHO’S YOUR BOOK BFF? This one’s tough. I feel like Celaena Sardothien (from Throne of Glass series) and Hermione Granger (from Harry Potter series) are my two best friends. I mean, I’ve got the whole package with them, one is badass/street smart, the other is badass/book smart. What more could I ask for?
- WHO’S YOUR BOOK BOYFRIEND? I’m in a very serious relationship with Jamie Fraser from Outlander.
- IT’S THE END OF THE WORLD! WHO’S YOUR APOCALYPSE SQUAD?
- Celaena Sardothien from Throne of Glass series, reasons stated above.
- Hermione Granger from Harry Potter series, reasons stated above.
- Jamie Fraser from Outlander, honestly, you don’t expect me to leave the father of my fictional children, do you?
- Katniss Everdeen from the Hunger Games trilogy, I could use her badassery by my side.
- Severus Snape from Harry Potter series, because HE’S FREAKING SEVERUS SNAPE. Love of my life. Next to Jamie. I think(?).
- WHAT DO YOU DO BESIDES READING? netflix. I watch a lot of netflix. Currently I’m re-watching Gilmore Girls, preparing for that Netflix-Revival(!!!!). I also love to write, and would love to write my own novel one day, I’ve been working on one, but it’s just for myself, to hone my writing-skills. I love listening to music, taking pictures for bookstagram, and go book shopping.
- YOU DON’T NEED MORE BOOKS, MELANIE. SO WHAT ELSE DO YOU SHOP FOR? LIES. I can never have too many books. But for sake of answering your question, instead of books, I’d buy movies and tv series. I love collecting them, and obviously watching them ❤
- AT A PARTY, THE DJ CHANGES THE SONG – AND IT’S YOUR SONG. WHAT SONG WOULD IT BE? oh come on. no. This is like choosing which of your kids is your favorite. I CAN’T CHOOSE. This is too difficult. Oh, God the pressure. Hold on, let me think. *insert 20 minute thought-process break here* Ok, I’m back. I think the song I’d choose is EVERY TEARDROP IS A WATERFALL by Coldplay, because no matter what’s going on with me, this song WILL cheer me up, without fail. The beat, the message, everything, just makes me soar.
- WHAT WOULD YOUR DREAM LIBRARY LOOK LIKE? I can dream, right?
If you stuck around, thanks so much for reading! I hope you guys join love-a-thon, link me to your posts, so I can check them out! ❤
Let’s be friends!